Welcome to the University of the South Pacific Staff Union Web Page.
The USP staff Union was affiliated to the Fiji Trades Union Congress since 1974. This affiliation was withdrawn in 2005 and that we have remained as an individual Union with no affiliation to either The Fiji Trades Union Congress (FTUC) or the Fiji Islands Congress of Trade Unions. (FICTU)
We pay tribute to those who were the pioneers of this Union, in particular the Late Mr Hitendra Kumar who was the first Union President and the late Mr Rajeshwar Prakash who was the first Union Secretary since the Unionís recognition in 19
The Union was set up with the following objectives:
- To secure the complete organization in the Union of all staff, excepting the teaching staff of the University of the South Pacific.
- To safeguard and promote the Trade Union interests and well being of its members.
- To provide an organized medium for the expression of the considered opinions of its members.
- To make representation and conduct negotiations on behalf of its members
- To undertake by conciliation or arbitration settlement of disputes.
- To promote or oppose resolutions passed by the Council of the University of the South Pacific and other measures affecting the staff.
- To promote the material, cultural, social, educational and recreational welfare of the members and their families in any lawful manner by the provisions of educational facilities, clubs or other undertakings which the Annual or Extraordinary General Meeting may from time to time deem necessary
- To consider and advice on any matters affecting the interests of its members.
- To undertake, participate financially or otherwise in printing or publishing of periodical, bulletin, book, pamphlet or other publications or printed literature in the interests of and with the main purpose of, furthering the lawful interests of the Union or its members.
- To do all such acts and take such other steps and as are incidental and conducive to the attainment of the above subjects
To do all such acts and take such other steps and as are incidental and conducive to the attainment of the above subjects